Friday, June 20, 2014

haiku summer

Well, hello.  Long time no see...a VERY long time, and the glorious feeling of finally being on summer break (which really only came over me fully yesterday) is so consuming that I actually FORGOT that it was not just Friday but Poetry Friday until just now, as I was studying the Bare Bones School of Haiku, Lesson 6.

I found my way to these extremely helpful lessons via Robyn Hood Black's blog, where I knew I would find good resources.  Until Wednesday, I didn't know I would need them, but the moment I began entertaining the notion of a poem-a-day project this summer, a poem aspiring to be a haiku popped out.  I've known for a while that I was still laboring under the 5-7-5 oversimplified haiku form that I learned as a 3rd-grader, but I hadn't had a chance to learn a more authentic approach to haiku in English. 

Now I have the chance, and by Jane Reichold's Lesson 5 I was able to improve my initial Wednesday effort, and so I offer this welcome to my Haiku Summer (even as I begin a third major revision to my WIP).

yellow plastic frying pan
in the pool
the water sizzles

I'm also delighted to be participating this year in Tabatha's Summer Poem Swap. I received a doubly well-crafted spirit animal poem from Irene Latham, and I sent a double acrostic to close out the school year  to my first partner, fellow teacher Linda Baie.  What fun to get and send real mail!

                                        
                              <poem removed for submission>

Thanks for visiting my juicy little universe today.  Find more summer poetry goodness with Jone at Check It Out!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the haiku and your link to Lesson Six
    Verbs in Haiku. What your verbs reveal about you. Looking forward to reading that material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Welcome to summer!

    Can't wait to read more of your summer haikus.

    Am in awe of your DOUBLE acrostic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, neat double acrostic!
    Have a great summer...and I may "read" you later this summer. I'm doing the poem swap also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both lovely, Heidi! I'm glad you found your way to the spirit of haiku! I'm looking forward to more. I'm still waiting for my first summer swap poem to arrive! Maybe in today's mail?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You knocked my socks off with this double acrostic, Heidi! Love that "pointed and diffuse" aim. The best classrooms are sanctuaries, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, Heidi. And so technically cool. What a great way to kick off your project! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the haiku links - it's always like Christmas for me to learn new things about haiku.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!