Thursday, November 21, 2013

ncte boston | poetry and poets galore!

Tomorrow I'll be posting from a hotbed of poetic action, but for now, a poem that my daughter has deemed her favorite of all time:


(love song, with two goldfish)  | Grace Chua


(He's a drifter, always
floating around her, has
nowhere else to go. He wishes
she would sing, not much, just the scales;
or take some notice,
give him the fish eye.)

(Bounded by round walls
she makes fish eyes
and kissy lips at him, darts
behind pebbles, swallows
his charms hook, line and sinker)

(He's bowled over. He would
take her to the ocean, they could
count the waves. There,
in the submarine silence, they would share
their deepest secrets. Dive for pearls
like stars.)

Read the rest here.
 
Man, that girl has good taste!

 

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I woke up thinking about goldfish this morning. It's true. Specifically, it was this painting by Childe Hassam, "The Goldfish Window." http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=24957

    Maybe I'll see you in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a lyrically epic time at your convention! Can't wait to get your reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem. I love how the whole thing is bowled-in by parentheses. How clever! Have a great time at NCTE. I wish I could be there with you to meet up with all of the Poetry Friday folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever play with words. And with the structure.
    Have a grand time in Boston. Wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that is a little piece of genius. I just love it. Humorous and clever yet melancholy. She has good taste indeed!

    Have a great time at NCTE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!